Which countries do not require a visa for Canada?

Do you want to know if you can travel to Canada without a visa and are eligible for the eTA scheme? Find out which countries are members of the system and what other conditions must be met to qualify.

The eTA scheme allows you to travel to Canada without a visa and is available under certain conditions, the most important of which is that you must be a resident of one of the member countries of the scheme. It is therefore essential to check that you are a member before starting your online application. In this page, we propose you to discover the complete list of these countries as well as the other conditions to respect and the procedure to follow to obtain an eTA for Canada.


Which countries' nationals are eligible for eTA and are exempt from visa requirements?

Travellers who live in and hold a passport issued by one of the following countries can travel to Canada without a visa and can benefit from the eTA for that country. However, it should be noted here that this scheme is limited to travellers entering the country by air and is not available to travellers arriving by boat or train. The list of eTA member countries is as follows

  • Germany
  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Bulgaria
  • British citizens
  • British citizens overseas
  • Citizens of a British territory including Anguilla, Bermuda, Gibraltar, Pitcairn Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, British Virgin Islands, Montserrat and St Helena
  • Chile
  • Cyprus
  • Croatia
  • Denmark
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Spain
  • Estonia
  • Vatican City State
  • United States (lawful permanent residents)
  • Finland
  • France
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Solomon Islands
  • Ireland
  • Iceland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • New Zealand
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Korea
  • Czech Republic
  • British nationals (overseas)
  • Romania
  • San Marino
  • Samoa
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • British subjects with the right to reside in the UK
  • Taiwan


Which countries are exempt from the eTA and visa requirements for travel to Canada?

Certain nationals of certain countries and meeting certain conditions are both visa and eTA exempt. These include:

  • Foreign travellers with official Canadian documents such as persons with a valid Canadian visa or persons with a valid status in the country such as students, workers or others who are returning to Canada after travelling to the United States
  • French residents of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon who arrive in Canada by air.
  • Travellers whose aircraft makes a stopover in Canada for the purpose of refuelling and who are travelling from the United States, provided they have the necessary documents to enter the United States and have been lawfully admitted to the United States.
  • Passengers on a flight that lands in Canada for an unforeseen reason.
  • Travellers transiting the country under the Transit Without Visa Programme.
  • Official representatives such as members of the armed forces outside the civilian component of a country designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act who are travelling to the country to perform official duties.
  • Travellers such as flight attendants, civil aviation inspectors and accident investigators who work or will work in Canada during their stay.
  • Diplomats recognised by the Canadian government.


What other conditions must be met to benefit from the eTA for Canada?

In addition to being a national of one of the countries listed above, travellers who are eligible to travel to Canada without a visa and benefit from the eTA must meet certain additional conditions including

  • Consider staying in the country for a maximum of 6 months.
  • Have a valid passport that is valid for the entire stay.
  • Travel to Canada only for tourism and not for study or to work for a Canadian employer.
  • Meet the country's safety and health requirements.


How do I get an eTA Canada online?

To obtain an eTA for Canada from any of the countries on the visa-free list that are eligible for the scheme, simply go online to the official website or to a website with an application form like the one we recommend here.

You will simply need to fill in the application form with your personal details, enter your passport number and a valid email address and pay the processing and transfer fee.

You will receive an answer to your request within a maximum of 72 hours and this authorisation will then be valid for a period of 5 years.

This website is not affiliated to the Canadian government, you have the possibility of completing the procedure without supplementary fees on the official website.